Now Maitland, Now's Your Time!

After being satisfied with the results of my Blücher test base I began work on the 100 Days Campaign forces proper. The first unit is Major-General Peregrine Maitland's 1st Guards Brigade. It consists of two battalions each of 32 figures.


Out front is the skirmisher screen and Maitland himself is in the middle on his horse. You can also see the base label in this shot, which I based on the information given in the Blücher 100 Day Campaign Cards set. I printed the base labels and laminated them, this is so that we can cross off the 'attached artillery' section with a dry-wipe pen if the unit has no artillery.


I took the inspiration for Maitland's horse from this famous painting by Thomas Jones Barker showing the Guards at the climax of the Battle of Waterloo, just about to give the Old Guard a good drubbing:


The flags were printed from NapFlags, I resized them to the correct dimensions. The Baccus flagpoles are too long for the 6'6" size of the flags, so they had to be trimmed down as well.


You can also see my solution to the Elan track that is a feature of Blücher. I bought several 7mm red dice from Minibits along with a number of dice holders of the correct size. As the highest Elan is 7 a six sided is perfect for keeping track of the current level during a game.


That's it for now, I have a lot more work to do on this project, so I assume it will go on for a long time, but thanks for reading!

Comments

  1. Those really are very nice! I love the diorama approach but unfortunately my rule of never ever rebase again means I'm stuck with my existing bases and sabots. I think there are units with 8 points of elan in the 1809 lists the french old guard units are 8 elan which is why I went for the elan boxes. It also helps in our campaign as we use the name strips as reference with permenant deductions on the tags.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robert, I am glad you liked them. I think a ay of getting around the 8 elan issue to black out the '8', to represent '7', then any further loss can be represented by the dice.

      Delete
  2. You have done your divisional bases very nicely, certainly better than my battalion bases.

    One little thing though, your Guards Colours are the wrong way round. Guards organise their colours positions back to front compared to mere line units so the Union flag should on the left as the regiment faces forward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jim, oops, I didn't know that about the flags! Thanks for pointing it out, it's easily fixed!

      Delete
  3. Really good job here, as usual
    I visit often, even commenting very rarely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maximex, I am glad you liked them. Please don't worry about commenting, as long as you're reading and enjoying the blog, that's good enough for me!!

      Delete
  4. I know this was a while ago, but what did you use for the sand on the bases? it must be tiny...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment