Trails and Tracks

I have a lot of scenery, but one of the things that are missing from my tabletop are railway tracks. In the past I have thought about making my own using second-hand model railway tracks from EBay. But this always seemed like too much work and as I'm lazy, I started looking around for some other solutions. I found it in the form of Ironclad Miniatures 15mm track sections. So, I ordered myself a few test pieces to see what they were like in real life. 

Railway tracks by Ironclad Miniatures

In real life, they are excellent, really well detailed and a thousand times better than anything I could knock up myself. I painted them in flat grey, drybrushed Stone Grey over the top, then washed them in Flory Washes Dark Wash and Agrax Earthshade and finally drybrushed Buff over the top. The rails were painted in gun metal, the sleepers in Flat Brown and washed in Nuln Oil. Finally the tops of the tracks were painted in Mithril Silver. If you look at real rail tracks you'll see that the top is shiny clean where the wheels have rubbed off the dirt.  

The railway tracks by Ironclad Miniatures fully painted

The resin casts are very nice and fit together perfectly, these are so good, that I quickly ordered over 6ft of them!


I also included in the order a set of oil and ammo supplies, which can be used as scenery or Jumping off Points for Chain of Command. I painted half with grass bases and half with urban bases so they are a bit more usable depending on the game I'm playing. 


Whilst messing about with the rail tracks I also took another look at the really old home made lengths of mud road that I made many years ago. I've been thinking about these for a while and they are looking a little tired now:

My old hand made dirt roads

So, I dulled them down with a bit of a drybrush with Khaki and added static grass to the edges. This allowed me to soften the edges of the corner pieces as well. 

The edges have static grass added

It didn't take long, but I got all the roads that I have done in no time. 

The updated road peices

Meanwhile, I have also been making some videos of solo wargame AARs as an example of how to go about gaming during lockdown in the UK. Have a watch of this latest one, a Square Bashing game based on the 1st of July 1916 and the first day of the Somme. Please have  watch here and subscribe, if you haven't already!

Comments

  1. Nice, I have had two previous attempts at doing rail track with mixed results. i bought the ironclad resins that you show and the transformation was excellent. I have since bought some old TT scale stock off e-bay, which perfectly fit across the 12mm rails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Norm! All this took was a bit of layering with the various drybrushing and then washing. It's a pretty simple process. I am going to buy some stock myself at some point in the future!

      Delete
  2. I have a lot of Irregular 6mm railway which is very useful, but I was also fortunate enough to pick up many feet of second hand N guage model railway track which is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did have several lengths of model railway tracks, but I could never be bothered to do anything with it. It eventually got thrown out so I was glad to have found these and closed the gap on the table!

      Delete
  3. They all look great- very useful for many table tops.

    Cheers,

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Pete, they will be very useful, that's for sure!

      Delete
  4. Liking the railway tracks...Very realistic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers buddy! I am glad you liked them, I was pretty pleased with them myself.

      Delete
  5. Those look great! I have some old HO scale raillways I want to use for my games but they are still a bit far in the to do list. I also have to do some Supply dumps, was thinking in scratch building, but I might as well 3D print some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers buddy. I've needed these for years, so I figured time had come to get them done!

      Delete
  6. Funnily enough, been doing something similar: https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-3IATFbDxL6I/XpdC7B2stLI/AAAAAAAAErY/DE-iX6lWArAwxISHec8-MWpnVFG-h6gowCLcBGAsYHQ/s1600/terrain.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent, they look great! Almost exactly the same as mine!

      Delete

Post a Comment