Friday, 31 January 2014

Stalin's Landships

Zvezda have recently released their latest plastic 1/100th scale tanks, the fabled multi-turreted T-35 and I bought five from Plastic Soldier Company in one of their company deals. I've been awaiting this kit's release for some time, I love the ridiculousness of the multi-turreted Soviet tanks. In practise they were a complete disaster on the battlefield with more being lost to mechanical problems than falling prey to the German guns. That said, they will be a great and interesting supplement to my Soviet forces.


The build was easy and simple, as always with Zvezda kits, but there is a word of warning here. It is worth cutting the lug off that joins the front of the hull halves as a gap appears on the front glacis plate otherwise. But this minor problem (and it is minor) was the only issue during the build. When varnishing them, I had some problems with frosting on the tanks, but I managed to rescue them somewhat with a couple more layers of varnishing then leaving them to dry under a lightbulb and they haven't turned out too badly.


They are massive models and to give you an idea of how big they are, here is a T-26 for a size comparison. With two 45mm turrets and a 76.2mm howitzer they should give the Germans something to worry about (if they ever arrive on the battlefield...).


According to the Rapid Fire! Russian Tank Units 1941-42 supplement, the 68th Tank Regiment, 34th Tank Division consisted of  ten of these beasts! So, maybe, just maybe, I might double their number, although I'm not sure ten T-35s will even fit on my table!

2 comments:

  1. Nice, I have a couple in 10mm that I must get around to using in a game at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm glad you liked them, the more stupid Russian tanks on the field, the better!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...