Heroes of the Soviet Union

This third battalion of the 308th Rifle Division signals that I am about three quarters of the way through finishing this formation completely. Along with the other battalions this one is a battered version of the full battalion, being reduced to about the size of a company.


The core riflemen has a strength of seven Heroes of the Soviet Union, a mix of Peter Pig and Plastic Soldier Company figures.



Support comes from a Peter Pig Maxim MMG and a Command Decision anti-tank rifle team.



The total battalion numbers only twelve men, about the size of normal rifle company.


There is another similar battalion to add along with some submachine gunners and the support elements to finish off the 308th Div, but that is for another day!

And finally, although there are no snipers in the Rapid Fire! army lists I am using to build these forces, I figured every Stalingrad needs a Vasily Zaytsev. This sniper team was bought maybe a decade ago and I never really found a use for them, until now.


The set comes from Battlefront, part of a larger sniper group


The ruined wall that came with the figures fits in well with Stalingrad, so I thought the team would add another layer of danger for the Germans!


Now, if I can find a figure of Major Erwin König we can reenact the mythical duel between the two snipers...

I have also made the rubble mix that I use available for sale on ebay, please have a look HERE.

Comments

  1. Nice project and great modeling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good...IIRC Koenig was available in the German sniper pack from Battlefront as well...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stanley, I didn't know that, I will look into it!

      Delete
  3. These are great. Super job. A cheap option for Koenig is to take the head off any Revell Winter German and stick an Airfix DAK field cap head in its place. just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that, SRD, but these are 15mm, so Koenig would be a giant amongst them if I used an Airfix figure!

      Delete
  4. Excellent as always, love this little wall...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, normally I don't like little vignettes on figure bases, but this wall just seemed right.

      Delete
  5. There is a suitable figure in the Peter Pig German sniper pack too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that, I shall take a look and perhaps order some in my next round of Piggy orders.

      Delete
  6. Nice work, the different manufacturer's figures mix together well. I made a "hidden" sniper a couple of years ago. It's a spare rifle poking out from a pile of rubble, specifically modeled on Zaytsev hiding under a piece of iron sheeting at the end of "Enemy at the Gates". A cheap alternative if you can't find a figure! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment